How to launch and run a gaming node?
The next big thing for the gaming industry is blockchain gaming. Blockchain-based games have been a growing trend for the past few years, and the industry has shown an increase in blockchain games development during this timeframe. Businesses that are looking to develop decentralized gaming apps have new options thanks to increase in adoption of web3 and blockchain protocols.
As blockchain enables secure transactions and records, this has opened up new gaming opportunities for players and businesses who use NFTs or cryptocurrencies for trading in-game assets. Axie Infinity, for example, has millions of users who use their Ethereum-based cryptocurrency, which can be exchanged for real cash at any point of time. Cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin or Ethereum allow for secure and quick payments for in-game purchases like avatars and power-ups. You can also earn rewards and crypto tokens by playing certain play-to-earn games.
NFT marketplaces can be utilized in blockchain gaming to trade characters, memes, and other digital assets. The NFTs allow gamers to own their digital assets fully, allowing players to have more control over their items. It makes trading or selling them easier since there is proof of ownership.
This article will discuss Blockchain gaming and how to launch and run a gaming node in view of the Gala node.
- What is Blockchain gaming?
- How can Blockchain gaming transform the gaming industry?
- Top blockchain games
- How do you launch and run a gaming node?
What is Blockchain gaming?
Blockchain technology is a distributed ledger technology. It functions as a record and storage system for information. As a result, it can’t be hacked or tampered with and can’t be altered in any way. The transaction history of a Blockchain network is public in principle. Additionally, Blockchain powers cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin and Ethereum. This opens up a whole new world of possibilities for virtual economies. Game developers have already realized this potential.
Most traditional games offer a marketplace where players can exchange and purchase items such as avatars, weapons and loot boxes. However, they might not be able to own it even if they pay real money. This is because developers have had complete control over all aspects of game development, from the storyline to collecting the assets. Players don’t have ownership rights to their items and accounts because they are all owned by the same entity. This model has other limitations, such as lack of transparency and the potential for manipulation of game mechanics.
Blockchain created the first decentralized, fair virtual market for game players. Players have real control as the gaming companies no longer completely control the gaming experience. Blockchain’s potential in gaming goes beyond virtual economies, and Blockchain-based games allow players to own and fully control their assets. Here assets are usually represented by non-fungible tokens (NFTs), which are unique.
For example, the game CryptoKitties was the driving force behind this revolution in 2017. It allows users to create, buy, and sell different types of virtual kittens using NFTs. Each virtual kitten becomes a collectible digital asset. The more rare the kitten, the greater the value. (The CryptoKitties with the highest price was $172,000).
There are many benefits of Blockchain gaming. These are as follows:
- Metaverse and interoperability – players can trade their in-game assets using Blockchain tokens that link them to other game markets.
- Fair experience – Blockchain enables the creation of open, distributed and transparent ecosystems. Usually, gaming companies and players are not in control of the game’s dynamics. Using Blockchain, gamers can also vote for changes. This prevents cheaters and other players from ruining the experience.
- Unlimited creativity – A game can be shut down by its developers at any moment. Blockchain allows players to continue games even when the developers are not there. It also allows them to grow their games by adding new assets organically.
Hence, Blockchain gaming has created a virtual market that is thriving and has expanded to include many more titles.
How can Blockchain gaming transform the gaming industry?
Blockchain is transforming the gaming industry in the following ways:
Transparent and secure transactions
Blockchain technology is secure, transparent and immutable. It prevents fraud in transaction records and provides users a layer of security when they engage in a digital transaction. This makes it ideal for games that require users to share sensitive data or virtual assets (e.g., NFTs).
Blockchain provides an extra layer of security through encryption systems like secure messaging or two-factor authentication. It protects sensitive data such as player information and user transactions from being altered or hacked.
Improved user experience
Blockchain improves user experience and make it more secure, efficient, and transparent to use digital assets and engage in digital transactions. Blockchain gaming gives gamers more control over the gaming experience. This trend is manifested in many ways; for instance, players can create their characters and storylines, as well as play. It also allows them to download different locations without risking their gaming experience.
Blockchain gaming platforms help ensure that transactions between parties and their interactions are legitimate and verified. This prevents fraud, which is a major problem in today’s gaming platforms. Since each transaction is recorded, businesses can use Blockchain to verify transactions and ensure that no person or party is paid twice for the same services or goods.
Trades can be made between players for profit or other resources. Blockchain keeps track of every item and its ownership so players can trade with confidence knowing their items won’t be stolen or duplicated. They can also sell or purchase in-game assets from others.
Completing quests or missions can lead to rewards in the form of cryptocurrencies. Traditional games reward players with points, which have no monetary value beyond the game. Blockchain-based games allow players to earn cryptocurrency to buy items from other players and products on eCommerce websites.
Creating integrated gaming profiles
It is possible to create a central community that allows users to access different games. This allows users to create a single profile that can be used across all platforms. Consequently, it improves their user experience, makes purchasing and accessing different games easier, and makes it more convenient.
Top blockchain games
There are hundreds of different Blockchain-based games on the market. Here are some of the most popular ones:
- Axie Infinity
- Bomb crypto
- DeFi Kingdom
- Nine chronicles
- Gods Unchained
How do you launch and run a gaming node?
Gala nodes popularity has led to the appreciation of the Gala tokens. The below exchanges allow you to purchase Gala tokens:
[In the below section we will follow the same steps as followed in Gala node to explain how to launch and run a gaming node ]
Let’s see how we can set up a gaming node.
The installation of the gaming node is easy on either your cloud or local server. Cloud servers are better because they can be used 24*7. You need to pay a minimum amount to manage the server. Here we will take an example for the Vultr server.
These are the steps to create a gaming node. We will discuss this in detail later.
- Create a gaming account to purchase the gaming node
- Purchase server for the gaming node
- Deploy the server
- Connect server to Putty or terminal
- Change Machine ID
- Set up and connect gaming node
Let’s get started.
Step 1: Create a gaming account and purchase a gaming node
There are three major steps here:
- Create a gaming account
- Use the specified cryptocurrency to fund your account
- Purchase the license of the gaming node
Here are the steps to follow:
- First, create a gaming account
- Set up your profile with 2FA (two-factor authentication).
- Click on the inventory to deposit the required cryptocurrency
- Click to place an order and pay to confirm your purchase.
- Once this is completed, we will move on to the second and most crucial part.
Step 2: Purchase and deploy a server
There are many ways to launch gaming node services. In the below steps we have mentioned the complete guideline for launching your server on a platform called Vultr. You can use any other suitable server platform.
Note that this guide will be limited to Linux. Below are the steps to follow:
- After your Vultr account is created, you will need to purchase a server. Select Cloud compute on Vultr and select your closest location.
- Choose Ubuntu as the server type and then select the version.
- Select any plan that has the same configuration as your server.
- There is no need to choose anything in the “additional features “section.
- When you are ready, name your server and deploy.
Your server should be available within one minute. To connect to the server, you must enter your IP address, username, password, and email address.
Step 3: Connect to the server and modify the Machine ID
You can connect to your server using SSH tools such as Putty or Terminal on Mac. The following commands will allow you to connect with the server via the Terminal app.
ssh firstname.lastname@example.org [where x.x.x.x is your Virtual Private Server’s IP address]
- To log in to your VPS server, click Yes and copy-paste the password.
- Next, execute the following commands –
sudo rm /etc/machine-id/var/lib/dbus/machine-id sudo dbus-uuidgen | sudo tee /etc/machine-id sudo cp /etc/machine-id/var/lib/dbus/machine-id
- After this, you can reboot your server using the following command –
- After the server has been rebooted, it is time to install the gaming node server on your Virtual Private Server.
- You can log in to your server by running the following command.
Step 4: Install the gaming node and configure it
- Run the following script to download the software package for the node.
sudo apat-get update && sudo apat-get upgrade y
- For downloading the node software package, use the link provided by your blockchain gaming platform. Here we will take the example of Gala. – Execute – the following commands:
wget-O install-headless.sh https://static.gala.games/node/install-headless.sh
- Hit enter.
- Follow the steps as it prompts.
- You are finally good to go!
- Once the installation is finished, the link will be visible on your terminal.
- Copy-paste the link into your browser and authenticate using your 2FA, gaming account login, and password.
- Click on the name of your node, then click on Save, then exit.
Congratulations! The gaming node has been activated and is running already!
NFTs are playing a major role in blockchain gaming. As game studios won’t completely control how gamers use their in-game assets, so new gameplay features must be developed to keep players interested and increase NFT activity. NFTs will allow gamers to trade, buy, and sell digital items in a distributed manner, something that games couldn’t do before NFTs.
This decentralized ownership, along with the the rise of metaverse, IoT, AR and VR technologies, will make blockchain games hard to resist for gamers. 5G networks will allow for blazing speeds, in which immersive 3D game environments will load fast and provide an exhilarating experience. It presents an exciting opportunity for game developers to invest in and develop blockchain gaming capabilities.
If you are looking for Blockchain Game Development Services, then we are happy to partner with you. Please connect with our Blockchain experts and share your idea!
Start a conversation by filling the form
All information will be kept confidential.
The core idea of web3 in gaming is decentralization. By incorporating blockchain technology, web3 games are all set to redefine gaming.
Play-to-earn games are decentralized games that allow players to earn rewards like cryptocurrencies and NFTs by completing tasks, combating other players, and progressing through different game levels.
GameFi platforms represent a confluence of cryptocurrencies, non-fungible tokens (NFTs) and the play-to-earn (P2E) gaming model.